Sun-Earther

Comments: Who's back!

Ahh - that was perfectly timed, just when I needed the lift.

I would love to see Patrick Stewart as the Doctor, but my money would be on Alan Davies or Richard E Grant.

Posted by Robbie at October 1, 2003 3:37 PM

re: james nesbitt
"... the doctor is quintessentially English..."

definitely, I think we all remember what happened last time they forgot that!

Posted by Will at October 1, 2003 9:05 PM

Tom Baker was on television this evening (BBC LDN) and he 'accidentally' let slip that they were considering Eddie Izzard.

Posted by Tom Coates at October 1, 2003 10:55 PM

I think Dylan Moran or Richard Coyle. Both have the requisite Baker madness.

Posted by rjp at October 2, 2003 1:52 AM

Patrick Stewart as Who? Hmm... Can just see him having his Tom Baker-style long scarf being shot up by a Dalek/Cyberperson, giving it to the latest assistant, pointing he/she at the sewing machine and saying 'Make it...'

NO! STOP RIGHT THERE!

Bill Bailey - he'd make a good Who.

Posted by david at October 5, 2003 10:47 PM

Eddie Izzard? Please no. I fear he'd be too much himself, and not enough the Doctor.

Anyway, I'm just poking Matt to get him to comment on the rumours...

Posted by paul mison at October 7, 2003 10:51 AM

Been indisposed the last week what with moving house and other mundane banal stuff.

Cheers to Tom for the early heads-up on the Izzard rumour for those of us who can't get BBC LDN. A lot of people I know have been getting rather excited about Eddie Izzard as the Doctor and my initial reaction was pretty positive, but on balance I think that's only because I have a soft spot for our lovable cross-dressing ersatz Python.

I'm not sure I agree with Paul's remarks that Izzard's a one-trick pony and incapable of acting a non-Izzard role. I thought he was pretty good and definitely not "Eddie Izzard the rock promoter" in Velvet Goldmine, for example.

However, the Doctor ain't just any role and should be played half for laughs in any case regardless of actor. This is why it's not necessarily a good idea to employ a comedian to play him: the comic's accustomed stage personality may start to peep through (actually, maybe that's what Paul meant). This is why I'd reject Bill Bailey and Alan Davies as well as Eddie Izzard.

Alan Davies might make a good assistant, if a little reminiscent of Adric. Bill Bailey would make a good cameo like Alexei Sayle playing that DJ in (click ... whirr) "Revelation of the Daleks".

If it must be a comedian then how about Jerry Sadowitz? Yes, yes, I know, he's Scottish and I was on about the Doctor being English, but just think about it for a second. A grumpy, bitter Doctor, reflecting the change in the Collective Geek Personality since he was last on our screens. A dotcom-scarred Doctor twisted and full of enough bile and vitriol to hold his own on 2lmc, even. Wearing a top hat!

Erm, might not end up being such a family show though. Damn. Back to the drawing board ...

Posted by Jonah at October 7, 2003 11:47 AM

The Hugh Grant wet blanket school is probably founded on Peter Davison's reign. Don Cheadle? He's American, isn't he? Were they thinking of Vas Blackwood? My money's on Rickman for The Master, deffo...oh and someone clone Tom Baker and then artificially accelerate his growth. But who really cares about all this sad palaver. They're bringing back Blake's Seven!!!!

Posted by Jan at October 7, 2003 2:40 PM

Paul McGann, in the 1996 telemovie, had definite potential, if you're able to disregard the god-awful American influences that FOX foisted on the character (trappings like the Doctor being "half-human" smelt too much like Star Trek for me). McGann's voice, delivery, mannerisms and appearance (especially the hair!) were perfect for the role - smatterings of William Hartnell and Tom Baker in there - and if they were teamed with some decent, pre-John-Nathan Turner Doctor Who material they could go far.
If McGann wouldn't be in it, Alan Davies of Jonathan Creek fame would be acceptable - as long as he takes care to keep his characterisation of the Doctor fairly seperate from the similarly long curly haired Tom Baker.
As for Jonathan Pryce (you might remember him as Elliot Carver in Tommorow Never Dies) - who better for the role of the Master?

Posted by Sekker at October 14, 2003 4:24 AM

dirty den can get dirty with me n e day cause im a gangsta girl

Posted by jaspreet thind at April 22, 2005 10:44 AM

dirty den can get dirty with me n e day cause im a gangsta girl

Posted by jaspreet thind at April 22, 2005 10:44 AM

Keep up the great work on your blog. Best wishes WaltDe

Posted by WaltDe at September 1, 2006 2:45 AM